In 1920, there were just 8 million cars in the whole United States. But W.W. Gresham, of Indianola, Miss., saw that their owners needed to be able to dependably fuel and service those vehicles. So he made history-- and a business-- by building the first drive-in service station in the Mississippi Delta.
By 1933, Gresham Service Stations operated three service stations, expanding from Indianola to Isola. In 1947, Gresham Distributor Business formed to supply LP gas to local farms, residences and businesses, and grew to include Mr. Gresham’s son Bill, who had served in WWII and the Korean War.
As the petroleum and LP gas businesses grew, the Greshams and partner John McPherson decided to incorporate into Gresham Petroleum in 1958. The businesses thrived in the post-war economy, just as agriculture in the Delta was maturing into an economic force to be reckoned with. The corporation purchased or merged with other petroleum and LP gas companies in Greenwood, Louise, Inverness and Belzoni, building a strong network on the principles of exceptional customer service and high value.
W.W. Gresham passed away in 1978, but his legacy continued with Bill Gresham and John McPherson, who formed the Double Quick convenience store company in 1984, purchasing some 17 stores from a large regional grocery store chain and adding several of their own site-built units.